THE IMPORTANCE OF AFTERCARE
How to Treat Addiction’s international online aftercare programme offers professional support post rehab through individual and group counselling online.
When someone engages in an aftercare programme, the chances of succeeding in sobriety dramatically increase. The more support the client has available, the more treatment they get, the better their chances of staying clean and sober. Therefore, aftercare should not be optional but compulsory as part of the discharge process and recovery plan. This is something that we recommend for our clients and their families both at the onset of treatment and post-discharge. We will arrange a free consultation with all parties.
WHAT DOES AFTERCARE MEAN TO RECOVERY?
Addiction is a chronic, progressive, fatal disease and recovery is a lifelong process.
The first fundamental stage of recovering from addiction is to get clean and sober and for many that means they have to remove themselves from their current environment and enter a rehab treatment centre facility.
WHAT DETERMINES THE CHANCES OF SUCCESS FOR LONG TERM SOBRIETY / RECOVERY.
- Length and quality of primary treatment
- Client’s motivation and willingness to follow suggestions
- Post treatment support often referred to as continuing care or aftercare.
With rehab programmes ranging from 30,60,90 days and in some cases 6 months the financial cost can be a significant deciding factor as to which treatment centre to attend coupled with the length of stay.
Although some rehab units will be limited in time, or stays will be limited by cost, one thing that can be more controlled, and less expensive is aftercare. This can be for a longer term, and at less cost to the individual.
SO WHAT HAPPENS POST REHAB?
Clients return home to the same environment they left having undergone a huge experience of change, personal growth and a rollercoaster of emotions. During treatment this process often repeats itself tenfold once they return home. Our experience tells us the end result could be as many as 80% of individuals relapse within 90 days.
That’s why aftercare is vital to long-term sobriety. It took a person longer than 28 days to get addicted to drugs or alcohol, it’s going to take longer than that to get clean and sober from them. Attending aftercare post-treatment gives many benefits to people seeking to stay free of drugs and alcohol.
AFTERCARE’S IMPORTANCE IN STAYING CLEAN AND SOBER POST TREATMENT
- Reduces risk of relapse through continued addiction treatment and recovery support at the most crucial time.
- Clients stay connected to peers working a recovery programme and engaging in the same level of post treatment support.
- Professional counselling and recovery mentoring in areas where client needs the most support including; relapse prevention, recovery planning /maintenance, life coaching, budgeting, transition to everyday life, guidance and support when dealing with triggers, cravings and urges.
- Clients will have the ability to attend a group or individual meeting at a time to suit them 7 days per week across multiple time zones, getting the support when they need it most. Many clients live in remote areas and online aftercare is an invaluable resource where local support groups are limited.
- Online aftercare can be tailored to the individual’s specific needs based on the most appropriate form of therapy that has worked for them in primary treatment. This can include the 12 Step model, CBT, Holistic approach and also same sex meetings.
How to Treat Addiction’s international online aftercare programme offers those in recovery professional support post-rehab through individual or group therapy sessions. With client’s permission, we provide regular updates and feedback to parents and the referring rehab, ensuring maximum support through challenging times.